Re: [Shop-talk] Solar-powered battery charger for generator?

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Solar-powered battery charger for generator?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 13:35:36 -0400
At 07:41 AM 5/27/2008 -0700, Doug Braun wrote:

>My parents have a backup generator for their house.
>Unfortunately any time they want to use it, the
>starter battery is dead, and they're not up to
>pull-starting it....

>It seems like a solar-powered battery maintainer would
>do the trick....

Doug,

I don't know much about the solar chargers,  but a couple of thoughts
come to mind:

1. The battery may not be their only problem.  What are they doing
    for fuel.  Is it gas or natural gas?  If gas, then the gas may have
    gone bad by the time they need it, and gunked up the carb.

2. Storing enough gas is a problem also.  They will have to use the
    gas, say to power their car, and slowly replentish their supply.

3. What about starting it every 2 weeks to a month and let it run
    for 10 to 15 minutes to charge the battery?  Only cost is the
    consumption of the fuel, which can easily be replaced (and probably
    should be.  Also lets them know that it does run!

4. How far away from the house (main power) is the shed.  Why
   not run an extension cord, underground, out to the shed.  Then
   when as storm is coming they could connect a standard battery
   charger to the generator's battery for a quick charge.  While they
   are there, they could also start it to be sure it is working.

5. What about a battery jumper pack?  They are cheap.  Carry it
    in their car incase they have problems with their car battery.
    But when they need to start the gen. they could carry it to the
   shed and jump start the generator.  Then it should recharge the
   battery.

So other possibilites.

John

Va. Beach, Va