Re: [Shop-talk] 18v battery dead? Reviveable?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 18v battery dead? Reviveable?
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 15:34:10 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

So, following up on this...

In a feat of rationalization, I managed to turn the accidental death of a
battery due to my stupidity into buying a four tool combo set.  :-)

A milwaukee 18v combo set on ebay was advertised as new, with the sawzall,
circular saw, drill, light, two 18V (ni-cad) batteries, & a charger.
Shipped to my house, it was $300.

If you're interested, here's how I got there.  :-)

I'd told myself a while back that my next set of batteries would be the
v18 Li-Ion deals.  I was attracted to the lighter weight / more power per
charge.

Milwaukee has a deal on those where for $200 you get two batteries & a
charger (the old ni-cad chargers that I have a bunch of don't work).  It
was kinda a lot of money, but I've got a battery impact gun that uses the
Milwaukee batteries (bought when it was one of the only games in town) and
a drill I bought because it used the same batteries (important at an
event).

Downside was that none of my existing chargers would would with the new
v18 li-ion batteries, including my 12v car charger which is how I charge
the batteries at events.  But I was gonna suck it up anyway for the coolio
new tech.

Anyway, I figure I should look at the v18 combo kits.  The ones at the
retail places (coastaltool, etc.) are all a decent bit more than I want to
spend and there aren't any real deals.

So I look on ebay.  Ebay has one (new) kit that has a sawzall, drill,
light, two v18 batteries, and a charger.  Best part?  $290 with shipping.
That's $90 over the cost of just the batteries/charger kit.

Then I notice the seller has some combined shipping deal, and I kinda like
the idea of getting one of the cordless circular saws.  So I hit "show me
seller's other items".

I don't see a circular saw by itself, but I _do_ see another kit, using
the older 18v ni-cad or whatever batteries, that has a circular saw,
sawzall, drill, light, two batteries, charger, and a toolbag.  And its
only $10 more than the kit above.

In the meantime, I've read somewhere about how Li-ion battery technology
may not be the best in terms of "overall battery life" (i.e. # of charge
cycles before battery doesn't work).  And I've not really had any issues
with battery life really.

So for $10 more, I get the full kit.  I mostly ignore that I'm now no
longer getting the v18 stuff, considering it to be a positive that I can
use my existing chargers.  However, even if you ignore the v18 vs. 18v
battery technology, I still got two tools I didn't have and wanted, plus
another drill, plus a light, plus another charger (that I'll keep in the
RV) for only about $180 over the cost of two replacement batteries alone.

Mark