Re: [Shop-talk] jack bleeding

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] jack bleeding
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:09:40 -0700
> Can someone explain the fundamentals of jack hydraulics to
> me?  I want to bleed the thing, but I don't have a decent
> picture in my head of where the air is, how the hyraulics
> work, how to bleed it well, etc. etc.

In case Nolan's link doesn't do it for you ... there is an inner pressure
cylinder inside the part you see (which is just the reservoir and support
for the inner cylinder).  The pump is a simple, small diameter piston with
two check valves, one for inlet and one for outlet, that moves oil from the
outer cylinder into the inner cylinder.

As noted, most jacks can be adequately bled by making sure they are full,
then raising to full height (with no load) and lowering.  However, I have
seen some that require being held in a special position so the air is forced
back into the reservoir.  But I don't know any way to determine if your jack
requires that, except to either ask the maker/retailer; or just try holding
the jack with the release valve at the top while you compress the piston.

Randall