Re: [Shop-talk] Bexane

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Bexane
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:41:39 -0800
> I've seen dozens of epoxy ' fix it' stuff for sale. Always
> wondered, is there really a difference between them? I
> figured they were all epoxy mixed with a filler, basically
> bondo with aluminum or steel filings rather than talc power.
> Anyone know?

I don't know anything about composition, but I do know that the "5 minute"
version of JB Weld is MUCH weaker than the slow-curing version.  And the
tensile strength of the slow curing variety can be considerably improved by
impregnating fiberglass cloth with it, or even just mixing some fiberglass
strands into the epoxy.

My impression is that JB Weld doesn't have a filler, but I could be mistaken
about that.  It certainly seems a lot harder and stronger than Bondo body
putty, though, and I can't imagine that mixing metal filings with Bondo
would improve it that much.

Randall