Re: [Shop-talk] Floor Jacks

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Floor Jacks
From: Richard Beels <rbeels@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:03:46 -0400
Norco.

Made in Taiwan with Japanese seals.  Every unit is unboxed and tested
when it hits the warehouse in AZ before they get shipped
out.  LIFETIME warranty.  They have a few different models in each
x-ton space - depends on what you want exactly.

Lincoln is a sad story.  Lincoln got sold to Pentair.  Pentair
believed that they could take the product to Taiwan (first) and keep
the market the price the same thus increasing the margin.  They
thought that they could just close the Jonesboro, AR plant and send
the equipment over and bang out what they thought was a commodity
called "hydraulic jack".  NOT.  Container after container were
shipped to the USA with defective product and it trashed the good
Lincoln name.  After a couple of years of torture, Pentair sold the
jack division to CLORE and the Lincoln Lube to someone else (along
with the exclusive rights to the Lincoln brand name).  The lube folks
did not want CLORE using the Lincoln name anymore and gave them six
months to eliminate it.  That's when they started using Marquette
name on the old 93642 Lincoln part number.  CLORE made battery
chargers/testers and didn't have a clue about hydraulics.  Worse yet
they hired a guy from Sherwin Williams to run the division.  It was
destined to fail.  After another two years of ****ing up the product
line, Shinn Fu bought what was left.  The purchase also included the
Blackhawk and Hein Werner brand names.  Shinn Fu has since started
selling the old made in USA product under the Hein Werner name.  The
93642 is now being sold as a Hein Werner and is made by a shop in
Iowa.  Everyone is scared to death to buy anything looking like a
Lincoln.  Shinn Fu is working at it but it is going to be tough to come back...

At 3/9/2008 at 12:44, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Mark's keyboard and said:
>Two years ago my kids gave me a Sears Chinaman floor jack, one of the $200
>aluminum types. Twelve months later it started leaking and lost most of it's
>oil on my garage floor.  After much badgering and letters to corporate Sears
>finally replaced it, under protest and scolding, with another just like it.
>Now, another 12 months has passed and guess what?  The second one is also
>leaking.  I did a little checking and found that I am not the only one with
>the problem, in fact it seems that they all leak.  Anybody tried to fix one
>of these things?  Of course, Sears lists all of the repair parts with part
>numbers leading one to think they are repairable, but none are available.
>
>Short of finding a successful solution, are there any suggestions for a good
>jack.  I have found that there is at least one "MADE IN USA" jack made by
>Hein-Werner, any experience with them?

Cheers!