Re: [Shop-talk] Mystery of the blown transformers

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mystery of the blown transformers
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 16:57:09 -0600
Just as a different way to express what I see as the problem. A doorbell
transformer is used for short bursts and not continued use, therefore
the 50VA that it is rated is probably not continuous duty, sort of like
a welder. Radio shack used to sell lots of parts for electronics
projects, but dropped them in favor of cell phone skins and other higher
volume parts. As someone else stated, you may have to find an
electronics parts store, but you can always order a transformer  from
Digi-key or Mouser. Another place to try would be an A/C supply parts
store. They may have 24V transformers even though most furnaces I've
seen have been 12V. I would suggest looking for a 3A or 4A transformer.

Something else to try would be connecting a couple of car batteries in
series and measuring the current draw of the light. Remove the light
bulbs and make sure that the current drops to zero, indicating that the
wires aren't shorted.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Jim Stone:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001