Re: [Shop-talk] Mystery of the blown transformers

To: "shop talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mystery of the blown transformers
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 17:26:28 -0500
At 03:41 PM 3/1/2008 -0600, Jim Stone wrote:

>The original transformer output is 24VAC-50VA, while the doorbell one is
>24VAC-20VA.

If that's the case, it means you are drawing a little over2 amps,
P = 24 * 2 = 48.

You should be able to find one at radio shack.  But I just checked their web
site, and I don't see any transformers for building things, only to convert
European to American.  I find that hard to believe.  But...

If you have any electronic house in your area, they should be able to sell
you a transformer.  Connect the primary side to the 120, and the output 24V
to the light wiring.  Simple if you can find the xformer.

Here's are some

This one is a little over kill - but probably your best bet:

24 V.C.T. @ 5 AMP POWER TRANSFORMER CAT#  @ $ 20.50 each - TX-245

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/TX-245/790/24_V.C.T._%22#64;_5_AM
P_POWER_TRANSFORMER_.html

This one is marginal: