Re: [Shop-talk] Drilling holes in sheet metal

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Drilling holes in sheet metal
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 00:40:37 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Doug Braun wrote:

> Wow! A lot of people with nothing to do on a Friday night except stare
> at a computer screen!  Thanks for all the quick advice.
>
> I happen to have a decent bi-metal 3/4" hole saw blade, so I'll try that
> on a piece of scrap.  If the hole its too ugly, I'll go over the weekend
> to the HF store that just opened a few miles from where I live and buy
> one of their Unibit knockoffs.
>
> The holes are for mounting braces on the inner rear fenders of my '31
> ford, and are hidden, so beauty is not critical.

If that's the case, I'd recommend any of the solutions mentioned... Every
time I use a holesaw, I get something bigger than the diameter of the
holesaw though, but not a huge amount so.

I actually just used my HF unibit clone tonight for the very first time
(first time for any unibit style drill).  It was on some fairly thick
stuff... Probably around 1/8" thick steel, so not a direct comparison for
you.

I was quite pleasantly surprised at how well it worked.  It became my new
favorite way to get bigger holes in stuff like that!

This is the set I got.  On sale right now as well.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96275

Mark