Re: [Shop-talk] Which software for this application

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Which software for this application
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:45:11 -0500
At 11:28 AM 2/3/2008 -0800, cornerexit wrote:

>I would like some software that would allow me to design outbuildings for
>our farm - sheds, carports, shops etc.
>
>I would like said software to allow for providing inputs of the building
>dimensions, material type, framing style, siding/roofing type, and have the
>software create the drawings, and provide a bill of materials - twenty-four
>8' studs etc. I could then plug in my local material costs for each item and
>have a budget.

>I know I'm asking for a lot here, but what the heck! ;)

Wayne,

I did this years ago to calculate the cost of a materials for a garage.
I used a spead sheet to do this.  Unfortunately, I've lost the template
over the years.  But it's not that difficult to do.

Start with a place to input the exterior size, length and width.  You know
that you need 2x4 studs every 18" so you divide the length by 1.5' then
multiply by 2, for both sides.  You'll need header and footers - say 2x4"s,
calculate that by using the parimeter of the length and width, and divide
by the length of the 2x4s.  Then the same from the width - front and rear.
Then you can calculate the area of a side and divide by the area of a 4x8'
sheet of plywood.  Again multiply by 2 to give you both sides.  Same for the
front and rear.  If you want to finish the inside you can take the same
those numbers and you know how much dry wall you need.  You can subtract
out for a garage door if you want.  Then the roof, is simple geometry
to calculate the slope of the roof, calculate the the number trusses you'll
need.  Calculate the area of the roof and divide by a 4x8' sheet of plywood.

Then you can list input the cost of the have a place where you input the
cost of the materials, say 1/2" sheet of plywood, 2x4"x8', sheet of drywall,
etc.  Then have the spread sheet calculate the cost.

>Thanks

>http://www.team.net/archive

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229