Re: [Shop-talk] Home remodeling when you suck at interior design?

To: "'cornerexit'" <cornerexit@gmail.com>, "Shop Talk"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Home remodeling when you suck at interior design?
From: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:26:24 -0600
I just finished a full remodel and update of our house including expanding
the kitchen and master bath and all new cabinets.
Like you I really don't have an eye for how something will look when
finished unless I'm copying something else.
While my wife knows what she likes she is not very good at translating that
into something I can understand.
( She says " clean lines" and I see 'Basic" )
Anyway I bought a program Better Home& Gardens Home Design. It worked great
and helped a bunch.
 With it you lay out the room and from a library can place cabinets,
furniture etc where you want it in the room. You work with a line drawing.
You then choose a point from which you want to view,  click  3D view  you
have a 3 D picture of the room. You can actually move through the room and
change the view as you walk.
The program allows you to pick all the colors for walls, trim  as well as
cabinet and trim style.  You can even place 'Stuff" like a lamp or dog in
the room as well as the style of windows doors etc.
I got so good at it that our finished kitchen actually looks very very much
like the picture.

This would allow you to plan out a room and show it for suggestions, then
make the changes you want

One of the side benefits was that after making a floor plan of the full
house I was able to draw in the all the wiring runs from socket to fuse box.
Now rather than just having a list by the box I can actually see how each
outlet gets its power and where the wired run.

The program saved me a lot of problems by showing that a idea was not going
to work without interfering with something else.

If you like I can email you  some pictures, off group, of the planned
kitchen and actual finished kitchen

Bob Nogueira