[Shop-talk] Home remodeling when you suck at interior design?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Home remodeling when you suck at interior design?
From: "cornerexit" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:53:24 -0800
I will be starting on a progressive remodeling of our home, which is an
older, simple 3 bedroom rambler. I have the skills and tools to do all of
the physical work myself, and I'm looking to do a budget remodel that will
simply modernize the look a bit, and strengthen marketability for the
future. This house may eventually end up as rental, or it may end up on the
market as a "starter home". I am starting with the master bathroom which is
a fairly small space in this older house. Pretty much a complete re-do is
needed. New tub and tub-surround, new ceiling and floor (currently faded,
dated tile on both), new vanity, sink, counter-top (currently a built-in
counter-top due to the shape of the room), faucets, mirror, lights, towel
bars etc.

While it's nice that I can do the work myself, my hang-up is I suck at
interior design in terms of choosing colors, accessories etc. I am your
typical knuckle dragging Neanderthal male who would not know a bathroom that
was "in-style", or "coordinated" if it hit me upside the head. To make
matters more frustrating, I am a visual learner and my eyes glaze over when
an interior decorator type starts telling me what needs done with no
pictures to help explain.

While I don't want to over-complicate this project, I'd like to have some
sort of plan of attack other than going down to home depot and throwing a
bunch of stuff in a cart, and hope it looks right when installed (which is
what I usually do...).

Any websites that have a bunch of bathroom design pictures? Any free or
relatively inexpensive 3D design software that might be helpful in a home
redesign? The bathroom is just the first room, so I will be faced with this
same problem on all the other areas of the house as well.

Know of any websites where home owners may have documented their
do-it-yourself journey while remodeling their homes? I'd be particularly
interested in any refurb techniques that could update the look of the area
without spending a ton of money, like techniques to refinish old style
cabinets vs. replacing them etc.

Thanks