Re: [Shop-talk] Verizon FIOS

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Verizon FIOS
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:35:38 -0500
On Jan 21, 2008, at 9:24 PM, Kurt Oblinger wrote:

> I currently have DirecTV with a TiVo and was just starting to look
> into
> upgrading to HD. My phone/DSL service is through Verizon and I just
> got
> a call telling me that their FIOS service is now available in my area.
> So, does anyone have FIOS and can they comment on it, good, bad or
> indifferent.

I just got FIOS after friends said it was fine. The $99/mo is about
the same as I was paying for DSL + land line, plus I no longer need
the rabbit ears on the TV. Downside is now I watch a lot more TV.

They will drop the $29 setup fee if you are adamant enough about not
paying it. They charge me $4.50/mo to rent the non-HD box. I think HD
was $9/mo. Might be able to get that erased to, I didn't bother.

Quality of phone & TV signals are very good, speed of FIOS is much
faster than DSL using a DSL speed test site, but I don't do a lot of
heavy downloads so I can't comment on real-world experience.

They installed it during a snowstorm which impressed me. I think they
are all local contractors who only get paid per install. Took about 6
hours.

jim