Re: [Shop-talk] Aluminum Solder

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Aluminum Solder
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:22:00 -0800
  I know you said you want to keep the heat to a minimum which with the
wood framing behind the alu skin, i can understand.  But if you are
repairing a crack or something like that, I would really consider going
with TIG and getting it done right.

  Only issue with welding in your case is the wood behind it and of
course the fact that you may be trying to save paint and damage as
little as possible but a good TIG welder can help with all that.  I
charcoaled some wood when TIGing the rear of my car but nothing too bad,
TIG really does concentrate the heat into a small area.

  Having said all that, I have used AlumaWeld and it sure was easy to
use, the website below claims it is even stronger than TIG but that is
not the reputation it has,  the AlumaWeld stuff is very weak, it will
work for you but it has very little to no strength on stressed parts.

    Mike