Re: [Shop-talk] Hot/Cold drain

To: "'John T. Blair'" <jblair1948@cox.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Hot/Cold drain
From: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@cablespeed.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:13:08 -0500
As long as we are talking about slow drains I have a weird story to tell.

A few years ago our upstairs bathrooms started draining extremely slow for
no apparent reason. When the toilets flush they would almost run over. I
tried all the usual solutions,,,,Draino, Liquid Plumber, plungers, drain
snakes and still the problem persisted.

I finally bit the bullet and called a plumber. He went through the same
routine and got the same results. Finally, he said, "I've got another idea.
Do you have a ladder so I can get up on the roof?" I said "Yes" but I
wondered why a plumber would want to go up on the roof.

He went up with a hand drill snake. He went over to the vent stack and
started the drain snake down. Within a few seconds he said, "I've found your
problem" He removed the snake and in the coils on the end were a bunch of
soggy feathers and what had once been a Blue Jay. He ran the snake up and
down a few more time and brought out some more remains. He asked me to go in
and test the plumbing. It worked fine. The plugged vent stack was making the
system drain slowly because there was no air getting in at the top

What are the odds of something like this happening? I don't know but I have
since put screen caps over my vent stacks.....