Re: [Shop-talk] Hot/Cold drain

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Hot/Cold drain
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 08:01:13 -0500
At 03:10 PM 1/8/2008 -0600, Mullen, Tim wrote:
>Randal wrote:
>
>> I'm guessing it has nothing to do with how warm the water going
>> into the drain is; but rather that hot+cold flows in faster than
>> cold alone and is also more turbulent/traps more air.  My bathroom
>> sink does the same thing.
>

>Randall is apparently correct.
>
>It was all a matter of perception.
>
>In a "controlled" experiment, the sink was filled with cold water and
>drained.  Then filled with hot water and drained.  It was repeated
>several times.
>
>It took the same time to drain under all the conditions.

Tim,

I agree with Randall.

However, the above test saturated the system, so it should have actually
drained a little slower than if just one of the faucets were turned on.

>I suspected that the flow rate was higher for hot and cold combined (or
>just the hot alone) and apparently that was it.  But I figured I'd ask
>the list just in case there could be some weird reason that hot went
>down the drain slower.

Now while this starts to explain things, he still may have an underlying
problem.  He may have some crud/blockage in the pipes someplace.  Has/does
he regularly run some drain cleaner down the drains?  Does he have a lot
of trees around the house?  Where does he live?

I've never really had any problems with the drains in my house.  I've been
in this house in Virginia Beach, VA since 84.  This year we've had a pretty
bad drought.  One day I heard this girggling in the bathroom and went in
to see the toilets bubbling violently and then all the water drained from
the toilets.  This happened on several occasions.  Then one day, I got the
bad tell tail sign, crud coming up in the bath tubs.  I had to have the
pipes roto-rootered out.  My guess is that the trees were looking for
water and managed to break into the drain pipes and clogged them.

The plumber sold me some "crystals" that you dump into the toilets once
a month to kill tree roots.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229