[Shop-talk] Inexpensive TIG welders(was: Grizzly Metal Cutter)

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Inexpensive TIG welders(was: Grizzly Metal Cutter)
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 11:16:19 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Doug Braun wrote:
> P.S.:  My new Grizzly catalog shows a nice-looking,
> rather light and inexpensive TIG welder:
>
> http://www.grizzly.com/products/h8153
>
> Can anyone comment on how this might compare to
> something like a Miller Maxstar 150  (which is twice
> as expensive)?

I don't know much about TIG welders, but I think you want AC if you're
going to be doing Aluminum welding, right?

How about this one?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/220V-Tig-AC-DC-Welder/H8154

Its more money, but it seems to be pretty cheap for what it is compared to
the Lincoln/Miller choices I've seen.  Any of you welding experts want to
weigh in?  I don't know much of anything about welders beyond how to use
my little suitcase MIG...

Mark