Re: [Shop-talk] Storing Stuff in Garage "Attic"

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Storing Stuff in Garage "Attic"
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:32:39 -0800 (PST)
My garage is stick-framed, rather than using pre-built trusses, but
each set of roof beams has a 2x6 stringer across at the top plate.
These are spaced on 24".

My garage is small, and I need all the storage I can get, so I
had always planned to put something up there. But... I have skylights
in the roof, because I like working natural light whenever possible.
(The entire place is painted white or covered in white showerboard.)

What I did was cut 2x4s to fit between the stringers, and hang them
at about 30" with Simpson Strong-Tie brackets designed for this.
At the "ends", I used 2x6 instead (you'll see why).  I did this
between alternating pairs, so I can stick my head up between two
stringers and put stuff on either side.

Across the short 2x4s, I put (white!) wire shelving that I bought
at the big box store - I think it's the Rubbermaid shelving stuff.
This nestles 2" below the top of the 2x6s, so the boxes are prevented
from sliding off in either direction or off the ends.

This has worked well for me. I don't put very heavy stuff up there.
You have to pick storage boxes that you can hoist over head, and that
will fit in the ~20" space between the stringers! The first boxes
I chose were too big, and too tempting to overfill.