Re: [Shop-talk] Household appliances that breakdown on Christmas

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Household appliances that breakdown on Christmas
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:25:13 -0500
Pete Berglund's wrote:
> Yesterday (early .... around 3am Christmas Morning) for me
> in my part of the world... New Zealand, i was awoken by the
> most terrible noise coming from the kitchen. The sound of a
> machinegun firing off... Close inspection revealed it was

Sorry about your luck with the fridge.  But it is interesting to ponder
the cultural differences of x'mas in summer, and people on vacation.
I've wondered how much international presence is on this list -- I've
noticed a few .uk addresses, but never yours.

I was at my mom's house years ago, and had a water heater leak & die on
x'mas eve.  Stayed up till 4am replacing it (I'm slow) but it was a good
excuse to NOT get up early for the main event  :)

As a couple others mentioned, I suspect you're not out of the woods yet.
  It definitely sounds like the defrost mechanism is not functioning.
The ones I've seen die were due to the timer, which is mechanical and
kicks in -- I dunno -- every 4 to 8 days maybe.  It's usually located
near the temperature controls, and has an access hole to turn it
manually.  You can use a screwdriver to bump it around to "on";  there's
usually an audible click.  Then see if the freezer warms up.

Sears' parts site has good free parts diagrams http://www3.sears.com/
even if you don't buy there.  And if you get an exact model number and
Google, there's usually repair info to be found.

I was shopping for a new fridge back in July, and made an annoying
discovery.  All the "big box" stores that have run everyone else out of
business DO NOT STOCK A DAMN THING!  Lowe's, Best Buy, etc all told me
they had ZERO refrigerators in stock, except for the occasional beat up
floor display model or customer return.  Both suggested I shop online
from their selection of hundreds (rather than BOTHER them) because
delivery was the same $50, and they all took 1 to 3 weeks to ship from
an Atlanta warehouse (3hrs away.)  I don't know what you do if you need
one in a hurry!

I always like to support mom & pop stores when they're competitive, and
thankfully the folks at Ballard's Appliance in Asheville NC had
inventory (wow!) and staff that didn't seem annoyed with me, and hooked
me up with a Kitchen Aid fridge for $300 *less* than the
comparable/identical K.A. or Whirpool from the billion dollar guys.

   -Wayne