Re: [Shop-talk] Household appliances that breakdown on Christmas

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Household appliances that breakdown on Christmas
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 19:13:14 -0500
At 08:12 AM 12/26/2007 +1300, Pete Bronlund wrote:

>Yesterday (early .... around 3am Christmas Morning) for me
>in my part of the world... New Zealand, i was awoken by the
>most terrible noise coming from the kitchen. The sound of a
>machinegun firing off... Close inspection revealed it was
>the refrigerator....

Pete,

I feel you pain.  I had a refrig. die Christmas day evening.  After
we'd finished our Christmas meal and all the company had gone home.
Luckliy it's our winter, and for here on the east coast of Virginia, USA
we had a freek snow storm.  So I threw the contents of my refrig. out in
the snow for 2 days while I went and purchased a New refrig.

>This time i'd a decent look though and used my bright Fenix
>LED flashlight. Instantly i could see the problem. The whole
>"frost-free deepfreeze" was totally frosted up especially
>the duct around the fan that was chocked completely in ice.
>Freezers are kind of dark in the back there so you need a
>bright light source to investigate things.

I hate to rain on your parade, but I think you are going to have the same
problem again very shortly.  If your refrig. is anything like the ones we
have here, there are 2 resistor strips in the freezer section that are used
for the defrost cycle.  I'll bet you, that they are bad.  When they fail,
the freezer freezes up and the temp in the refrig, and freezer actually goes
up.

I've had to replace them a couple of times on my old refrig.  If you have
a side by side unit, you'll notice a metal panel in the freezer section
that goes about the length of the back wall.  It's held in place with about
a dozen little screws.  Remove them, and you'll find the cooling coils and
you'll see the resistors.  Disconnect the power to the refrig. and pull one
end of the resistor.  Mine had spade connectors on the wires coming from
each end.  Using an ohm meter, check the resistance.  If it reads infinate
they are bad.  I think the last pair I bought were about $20 us for the
two of them.

Good luck.

John,

I feel your pain also.  Been there, done that.

Good luck to you also.

Merry Christmas to all on the list!!!

John

Va. Beach, Va