Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?

To: pethier@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:19:10 -0500
On Dec 20, 2007 2:15 PM,  <pethier@comcast.net> wrote:
> From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
> > The reason they do this is that it makes the wheels concentric to the
> > wheel bearing.
>
> The use or non-use of concentric hubs to locate the wheel is independent of
>the choice between studs or bolts.
>
> If there is centering fixture built into the hub and wheel, the fastening
>method should be irrelevant to centering.
>
> If there is no centering fixture built into the hub and wheel, I don't see
>where there would be discernible difference between a tapered nut and a
>tapered bolt for centering the wheel.

Somewhere, I've got a  technical document that explains why conical
nuts don't actually work the way you think they do.  They do when the
wheels are installed properly; most of the time, the wheel isn't
installed properly.  Hanging it from the studs is the wrong way to do
it.  When the nut is drawn up, the stud deflects.  Using a bolt forces
the wheel to move.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com