Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?

To: "David Hillman" <hillman@planet-torque.com>,
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:26:39 -0600
David Hillman wrote:

    How easy/cheap is it to pull and replace the hub (with damaged
> threads) on those cars?  How much easier would it be to provide easy
> access to the hub flange, versus making it easy to replace the hub?

It would be nice if there was easy access to the hub flange.  But
usually, there isn't.

>    I'm fairly sure the impact from me swinging a hammer is dwarfed by
what
> happens when my 3000 pound car hits a pothole at 50 mph, but you may
be a
> lot stronger than I am.

It's a different kind of impact, and in a different direction.
Additionally, that pothole impact is mostly absorbed by the tire flex
and the suspension movement.  As pointed out in another reply, the
manufacturers usually specifically say not to hammer...

Now, that said, I've done the hammer thing before.  I know that you are
not supposed to so it, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
But I try to press the stud out if at all possible.

If the hub is easily removed, it comes off and the stud is pressed out
with my 12 ton press - that works great.

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA