Re: [Shop-talk] Mega Penetrant - any good

To: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@aceweb.com>, "Shop Talk"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mega Penetrant - any good
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:50:48 -0600
Ok, the article "Testing Different Types of Penetrating Oils" is in the 2007
April/May issue of "Machinist's Workshop", not to be confused with the "Home
Shop Machinist" from the same publisher but on alternate months.

In summary:

Author Lloyd Bender drilled then reamed .250 holes into half inch long
pieces of 5/8 inch diameter low carbon steel. He then cleaned them and some
1/4 by 1 inch dowel pins for twenty minute in an ultrasonic bath of methanol
to remove any oils, etc. Light finger pressure was used to insert the pins
into the holes leaving a quarter inch of pin sticking out each end of the
pin. Think little tiny wooden rolling pin. A total of 18 samples were made.

"Years of exposure" was simulated by 12 cycles of 10 minutes in a 3% table
salt solution followed by 50 minutes of air drying at 105 degrees F. There
is an "after" picture in the article and all of the samples look pretty
rusted, but that is simply an observation and not a may or may not reflect
the actual condition of any bolt on my '91 Chev 3/4 ton that has seen too
many Minnesota road salt winters.

The 18 samples were randomly divided into 6 groups of three. Each of the
groups was immersed in one ounce of penetrant for 12 hours. "None" was the
control group and was not immersed in anything.

Using a single blind method he then tested each of the samples to see how
much his Baldwin Compressometer [1200 lb scale] said it took to move the
dowel pin.

End of summary.

Please draw your own conclusions.

And as long as we are sort of "on the topic", what type of container would
be required to hold a mixture of acetone and darn near anything? Previous
posts make me think that a plastic spray bottle would not be my first
choice. Maybe an old fashioned metal pump type oil can?

Arvid