Re: [Shop-talk] Mega Penetrant - any good

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mega Penetrant - any good
From: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@aceweb.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 06:12:15 -0500
> Does anyone know if the 50/50 Acetone/ATF mix dissolves rust well.  That
> is
> one of the things that makes Kano products so good.

Acetone plays funny with rust.  It seems to penetrate the heck out of it.  I
learned this accidentally years ago with good old Rustoleum rusty metal
primer.  Straight from the can, rusty metal primer is way too thick and
doesn't work worth a darn.  I found myself inspired one day, and dumped a
bunch or acetone into a can of it, thinning it to waterlike consistency.  I
then brushed it on some farm equipment like the hydroscoop bucket and the
big post hole digger.  The stuff soaked into the rust.  Hmmm.  Later I went
scooping gravel and such for the day.  At the end of the day, the bucket was
still painted.  Hmmm again.  The paint gradually wore off the working area
of the bucket in use.  Years later the equipment I'd painted with acetone
thinned rusty metal primer was still solid and rust free.

I finally posted by results on a good-ole-boy farm board, only to learn my
discovery was well known to many of those ole boys.  Acetone somehow causes
things to wick into rust tremendously.

My highly calibrated method of adding acetone in precise ratio mixes is to
glop it in until I figure I'm at least 50/50 acetone.  As it evaporates in
the can while painting, I glop some more in.  Very precise!

I've tried it with some other chemicals, like lacquer thinner and the like.
They don't work as well as straight acetone.

Interestingly, acetone and atf are two key ingredients in a popular home
brew gun cleaner known as "Ed's Red".