Re: [Shop-talk] a(nother) plumbing question

To: scott.hall@comcast.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] a(nother) plumbing question
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 07:54:05 -0800 (PST)
--- scott.hall@comcast.net wrote:

> how big should I make them?  the hot water line
> needs to be 1" minimum per the shower manufacturer's
> instructions.  this line will also feed a hydronic
> towel warmer and another bathroom is a few feet away
> from this one.  I was thinking of running a 2"+ line
> for future needs.

Is this the "Niagara Falls" model shower?  A 1" pipe
is much larger than is normally used for pipes leading
to a bathroom.  A 2" pipe is larger than almost any
house would have coming in from the street.

> the hot water line will need a return to the heater
> (see hydronic heater, above).  I've seen a setup
> like this in magazines, so I think it can be done.
> just wondering if I need to consider anything when
> planning.

Is it really worth adding all the extra piping just to
heat your towels?  We have an electric towel warmer.
It works fine and you simply have to plug it in to an
outlet.

> lastly--the water pressure is abysmally low.  the
> plumber said to learn to live with it, it's on a
> well and the tank is too far from the house.
> seriously, you can't bathe in one bathroom because
> there's not enough water coming out.

If this is the case, the Niagara Falls shower will
not work very well...

 I'm willing to
> install pumps on individual lines to each bathroom,
> or one whole-house pump, but we've got to get some
> pressure.  seems like I'd like to install individual
> pumps just before the bathroom fixtures, but I
> really have no idea.  the plumber didn't even want
> to discuss it and I'm not even sure where to begin
> searching.  anybody ever done this?

You could probably install a pump and pressurized
reservoir where the pipe from the well enters the
house.  The situation you describe, a low-flow well,
is probably quite common.  I'm surprised the plumber
did not suggest it.

Doug