[Shop-talk] toolbox review

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] toolbox review
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 22:36:00 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

A while back, I asked about inexpensive versions of pro toolboxes... I.e.
chinese versions that had a good strong design, but where the QC might be
a little more hit and miss.

I didn't buy the full shopbox, but I did recently buy one of these to turn
into a toolbox for our trailer / racing:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90321

I'm adding some wheels, a handle, a way to mount it to the wall, etc.  I
figure by the time I'm done, I'll have put 30 hours into modifying the
damn thing.  :-)  But it'll also be a toolbox that's the right size and
setup for what I want.

But that's not really why I'm posting...  I'm posting because I've been
quite impressed with the construction.  This thing is _much_ more heavy
duty than my craftsman roller bearing toolbox... Fairly thick sheet metal,
the bottom two double height drawers have double slides, good
constuction/design choices, etc.  I could be happier with it.

If that translates to the other components for this system (and it seems
to, from playing with them in the store), this toolbox is a heck of a buy.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92099
(the one I played with in the store had double slides on the bottom
drawer)
and
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90320

They also have this one, that I've never seen in person:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94496
and
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94497

If its built the same way it seems like it would also be a great box.
But, I've never seen one in person and with Harbor Freight I wouldn't buy
it unless I could put my hands on it.

Now, all that said, I was at a buddy's shop today and was (once again)
blown away by their pro Matco toolboxes.  But the one double bay rollaway
I just looked at on their website lists for $3.6k...  Its too bad.  Those
boxes just feel _so_ solid & smooth.  The harbor freight stuff feels
similarly rugged in general, but not finished as well.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.  If I were upgrading from my current 26"
craftsman box, I'd 100% go with the HF 42" combo above.

Mark