Re: [Shop-talk] #!@#*@* Cordless Drill Batteries!!!

To: "'list Triumph'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] #!@#*@* Cordless Drill Batteries!!!
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 16:18:01 -0800
> According to an
> electrician friend of mine Milwaukee is the only manufacturer
> of power tools still made them the USA. I'd be surprised if
> even the Milwaukee tools are made here.

The Milwaukee web site seems remarkably close-mouthed about where they are
actually made.

I was pretty unhappy with my first (and only) Milwaukee power tool, a 1/2"
corded drill.  The speed control was bad when I got it, and the chuck had a
stiff spot that it could not be turned through by hand (motor would turn
first).  Took it back under warranty 3 different times ... first two times
they didn't fix the problems and the third time they actually fixed it.  But
the third time they also charged me roughly 1/2 the price of the drill,
because the warranty had expired while they had it !

It's worked well ever since, but if that is what the best professional-grade
tool in the USA is like, I'll stick with the cheap stuff !

Oh yeah, I've had to replace the cord too, but that's not unreasonable for a
20-year old tool.  Except that my cheap B&D drill motor (which I use mostly
for spinning the lathe chuck) is even older and it's original cord is still
just fine.

Randall