Re: [Shop-talk] #!@#*@* Cordless Drill Batteries!!!

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] #!@#*@* Cordless Drill Batteries!!!
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 19:39:38 -0600
I have an 18V DeWalt 1/2" hammer drill that I have had for about 3 years
now that has been flawless. I got it to replace the 14.4V DeWalt 3/8"
drills I have been using for about 15 years. Batteries for the 14.4 are
still available. I use these drills at least 100 days a year and they
have never let me down. I've had to replace the 14.4V batteries after
about 5 years, but that isn't bad at all. I've dropped the 14.4 drills
over 20' onto concrete, which banged up the case of the drill, but it
ran fine after checking it for internal damage (none found). I'm stuck
on DeWalt cordless tools. The 18V drill is the biggest drill I need for
cordless work, Today it drilled about 50 1" holes through wall double
top plates on a partially charged battery. If I need to do more than 50
or so holes I break out the corded right angle DeWalt drill.

What I am trying to say is with all this is that I have not found a
better cordless drill for the $$. I know folks who have Milwaukee
cordless drills who swear by them, but they cost quite a bit more than
the DeWalt. Sure you can buy a cheaper drill, but, as you found, you
can't get parts or batteries for them in a few years.

Peace,
Pat

 Thusly spake Doug Braun:
> Hello,
>
> I have a 4-year-old Craftsman 18-volt "EX" cordless
> drill.  The two batteries it came with have slowly
> gotten worse and worse, and are now useless.  I need
> to decide what to do.
>
> Sears seems to keep changing their battery styles and
> voltages.  18 volts was their big deal a few years
> ago, but now all their sturdier Nicad-based stuff is
> 19.2 volts!  They don't seem to carry any 18-volt "EX"
> replacement batteries any more.  They now have generic
> Craftsman and "DieHard" 18 and 19.2 volt batteries
> (with a big variation in price), and I cannot figure
> out what the difference is. The terminals appear the
> same as my old ones.  anybody how what interchanges
> with that?
>
> What's more, I opened one of my batteries and counted
> 16 cells.  At 1.2 volts per cell, that means my
> "18-volt" battery is really 19.2 volts!  When they
> switched to 19.2 volts did the actually stuff one more
> cell in the packs, or just correct a math mistake?
>
> Is it even worth trying to replace just the batteries,
> or should I just check the perfectly good drill and
> charger and get something different?  Is there any
> other line of cordless drills being sold today where
> the batteries can be expected to last more than 3
> years (and still be available then)?  Are the
> newfangled Lithium cells any better?
>
> Or should I just get a good 1/2" chuck corded drill?
> I rarely use my drill more than 20 feet from an outlet
> anyway.  Any recommendations on brands or models?  I
> have a corded drill, but it is a $19.95 single-speed
> non-reversible Black&Decker one that my wife bought
> before we were married.  I think I am due for an
> upgrade...
>
> Rantingly,
> Doug

Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001
www.hornesystemstx.com