Re: [Shop-talk] ABS ( was Re: Craftsman impact set and Suburban

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] ABS ( was Re: Craftsman impact set and Suburban
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:57:30 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, David Hillman wrote:
>> I find ABS to be the most helpful when I'm entering a corner trailbraking,
>> and I want the outside front wheel to be braking at max capacity rather
>> than the inside front wheel.
>
>    I hear that from people often, but IMO that's ABS allowing you to
> make a mistake.  If you (general) are max-braking that far into a
> corner, I'm passing you on the way out, 'cause I've been off the brakes
> and on the throttle since right after turning-in.
>
>    There are some scenarios ( usually poorly-setup front-diggers ) that
> encourage hanging onto the brakes after turn-in to unweight the rear and
> slide it around, but the max-braking through the first-half of the
> corner like you're talking about is going to be slow.

Spending time when you're not at max acceleration, max braking, or max
cornering is rarely the fastest way around the track...

With swaybars and all, you don't need to be wanting to brake much before
that inside front will lock.  ABS stops that.  There's a difference
between trail braking and missing the apex.

Mark