Re: [Shop-talk] ABS ( was Re: Craftsman impact set and Suburban

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] ABS ( was Re: Craftsman impact set and Suburban
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:17:58 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Mark Andy wrote:
> I find ABS to be the most helpful when I'm entering a corner trailbraking,
> and I want the outside front wheel to be braking at max capacity rather
> than the inside front wheel.

    I hear that from people often, but IMO that's ABS allowing you to make
a mistake.  If you (general) are max-braking that far into a corner, I'm
passing you on the way out, 'cause I've been off the brakes and on the
throttle since right after turning-in.

    There are some scenarios ( usually poorly-setup front-diggers ) that
encourage hanging onto the brakes after turn-in to unweight the rear and
slide it around, but the max-braking through the first-half of the corner
like you're talking about is going to be slow.

--
  David Hillman