Re: [Shop-talk] Does the ground ground?

To: "'Shop Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Does the ground ground?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 11:26:50 -0800
> I doubt it.  You might be able to disconnect the neutral side
> and stick
> an am-meter between it and the fixture and see how much
> current flows,
> or if a break/fuse pops.  On 2nd thought, I wouldn't know how to
> interpret the results and you might damage yourself or the wiring.

If you do want to attempt something like this, disconnect the neutral side;
connect the neutral from the fixture to the pole, and then put an AC
voltmeter between the neutral from the fixture and the neutral from the
power source.  The resulting measurement will give you some idea of how
poorly the fixture is grounded, and how much of a shock potential would
result if it did have a fault to ground.

Of course, since the fixture is only drawing 1/2 amp or so (assuming it's a
60 watt incandescent bulb), you will have to multiply the measured voltage
by 50 or so to get the maximum fault voltage.

But IMO it's much simpler to just assume that the fixture is not grounded
and let it go at that.  If not having it safely grounded bothers you, best
to just install a ground or GFCI.

Randall