Re: [Shop-talk] relationship advice (part 1 of 2)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] relationship advice (part 1 of 2)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:20:59 -0500
At 12:32 PM 11/9/2007 -0500, eric@megageek.com wrote:

>Ok, a few years ago I lost a relationship because, among other problems, my
>girlfriend was very jealous of my shop and the time I spent doing projects
>in there.  Note, it was mostly projects that NEEDED to get done....

Moose,

Let me start by saying:

a. I've been married to the same woman for 31 yrs and we went together for
   4 yrs before we got married.

b. I don't understand women!!!

>From my prospective, as a man trying to like like a woman, I'd prefer
someone who could and did those types of things for several reasons:

1. That would save us money.  (Note: I've done 98% of our home maintenance,
plumbing, electrical, and maintained the daily drivers along with restoring
a couple of cars over that 35 yrs we been together.)

2. I'd know where he was, in the shop, not out running around.

>But, I'm in a new relationship and things are pretty serious....
>But, if we move in together and take it to the next level, I suspect I
>might see many of the same problems.

There's no guarentees with relationships - only with appliances.

There's the old addage, better now than after you're married, and have
kids, etc.  So go for it, and see what happens.

>I'm wondering if the married guys here want to give up some secrets to
>avoiding issues like these in the future.

I don't think so.  It's sort-of the luck of the draw.  Things change
over time, so do people and relationships.

Take my wife, please!  No, when we were dating, she helped me restore my
65 Volvo P1800, and working on many other cars, including paint a friends
car.  She'd take all the dirty jobs, like sitting inside the car scrapping
off the old tar paper sound deadening stuff.  She also became a pretty
good wrench turner.  We got to where we could do a clutch in the 1800 in
45 minutes.

But, after we got married, she stopped helping me with the cars.  Then
we bought a house, and the kids came along, it got worse.  She wouldn't
even come out to a car show with me.

Her priorities changed from me to the house and the kids.  To some extent,
as it should be.

continued
Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229