Re: [Shop-talk] WOW,

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] WOW,
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:45:41 -0500
My semi-old (early 1970's) sabre saw (from Black & Decker's first days of
cheapness - they made only pro-type stuff before that) has a bearing just
above the shoe to guide the blade, thus giving it a little more support than
a Sawzall.  But you're right - it's a dagger-type blade held at one end
only.  A jig saw holds both ends of the blade in parallel-moving jaws, for
instance a Dremel jig saw.  Or does Dremel call them scroll saws now ?  Mine
is from 1956 and says jig saw on it.

In any event, a jigsaw is a bench tool with a table the stock rides on, it's
not a hand-held portable tool.  I always thought that a scroll saw had more
rigid upper and lower supports, long beams riding on bearings that kept the
blade moving quite vertically and accurately with only a bit of
reciprocating action, whereas a jig saw (at least the Dremels) had short
leaf-type spring beams to support the blade, and allowed lots more flex, not
for any purpose but just because of the simpler, cheaper design.

To further complicate this, I also have a Dremel Moto-Saw, which basically
an electric coping saw that uses the regular Dremel jigsaw blades  .It's
from the late 1940's I think - my Dad had it as long as I can remember.
It's clearly an older vintage than my 1956 Dremel jig saw.

Karl