Re: [Shop-talk] Remote electric meter readout

To: roadsters@hornesystemstx.com, Shop-Talk List
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Remote electric meter readout
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 07:22:39 -0700 (PDT)
In the light of day I was able to do some more
experiments:

With no lights on, I measured 660 watts.
With also the fridge off, I measured 360 watts.
When I also turned off a PC fileserver, FIOS modem,
router, wireless access point, etc. it went down to
270
watts.

The residual 270 watts seems reasonably accounted for
by the load of one running PC and idling power of all
the various household electronic doodads like the
cordless telephone, stereos, alarm clocks, alarm
system, etc.

My fridge (apparently about 300 watts) is about a
20-year-old Sub-Zero with one old and tired compressor
(and one new compressor, which cost $$$$).  Sub-Zero
claims that their new models use less than 100 watts,
but they are so unbelievably overpriced that it would
take many years for the electricity savings to pay
back.

Doug