Re: [Shop-talk] weedwacker tech

To: "'Mark Andy'" <mark@sccaprepared.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] weedwacker tech
From: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@cablespeed.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 07:20:14 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: shop-talk-bounces+gerrybraz=cablespeed.com@autox.team.net
[mailto:shop-talk-bounces+gerrybraz=cablespeed.com@autox.team.net] On Behalf
Of Mark Andy
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:56 PM
To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] weedwacker tech
Mark I had a similar problem last spring....I screwed around with it for
hours and finally went to HD and bought a "throw away" Homelite for about
$70 and it is working fine. When it starts giving me trouble it's next
destination will be the dumpster and I'll head for HD again.

My son has convinced me that the way to keep any two cycle engine running
well is to empty the tank when you are done and run the gas out of the carb.
He says even using "Stabile" doesn't work....just running all the gas out.

Howdy,

I've got a weed wacker that's in need of some TLC.  There are two hoses
going to the fuel tank.  On the inside of the tank, I found (separated
from the hoses), a sucker looking thing that would appear to let fuel or
air into the tank but not let it back out, along with a piece of hose
with a weighted end (again, this seems to have broken off from one of the
pieces that comes into the tank).

If I blow or suck on the hose attached to the weighed end, no flow.
Presumably this is a (clogged) fuel pickup, right?  Can these be bought
somewhere?

The sucker thingy also has a tear in it (presumably why it was loose in
the tank).  Can those be bought somewhere?

Anything else I should plan on doing, other than taking apart and cleaning
the carb?

Thanks!

Mark

(I'm half tempted to just junk this thing and get a new one, but that
seems pretty wasteful.  Its in pretty good shape overall other than these
gerrybraz@cablespeed.com