Re: [Shop-talk] Trying to find a battery connector to fit thru

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Trying to find a battery connector to fit thru
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:43:48 -0500
Steve Hammatt Mount Vernon WA USA wrote:

> What I'm looking for I'm sure I've seen before, perhaps
> in a larger size than what I need now.  I remember seeing
> aircraft type connections when an APU could be connected
> to an aircraft <...>

A bit pricy, but how about this for the receptacle:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/extpowerrect.php

And for the plug:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/jumperplug.php

If that's too expensive, I've seen the Anderson/"Quick Cable" type
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=1335
that has been posted here a couple of times - usually a two
conductor red or gray plug - in a bulkhead mountable version.
I can't remember where, but it was for tow truck equipment - it
allowed a permanent receptacle to be mounted on the back of a
tow truck so that jumper cables with the matching plug could
be used.

You could use the "no handle plug/receptacle" in link above
(http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/bigpicture.asp?RecId=1336)
to make your flush mounted receptacle.  Add a right angle brace
to the underside so that the bolts that hold the two halves
together pass through the angle brace.  Then cut out a hole
in the cabinet so that the end of the plug sticks through the
opening.  Screw the angle brace to the back side of the cabinet.

Then you just plug in your cable attached to the other
plug/receptacle (add the handle to that side).

Poor ASCII art of the Connector on top of the angle brace...

          XXXXXXXX
            ----.|

Might be an inexpensive way to go...

Tim Mullen