[Shop-talk] Re laser range finder

To: <eric@megageek.com>, "shop-talk\"" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Re laser range finder
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 08:46:42 -0500
Eric,

if you want to do a little cipherin' ( to qoute Buffett "I HATE MATH!!!)
you can do it like the old time surveyors (before emd).

Measure from your gun rest to a point at the  top of the slope going  down
to the bottom (write that number down)  measure down the slope from that
point to the bottom and find the verticle angle of the slope (crude
measurement would be with a protractor or inclinometer) or transit if you
have one.   Looking at logrithem tables find the cosine of the vertical
angle and multiply it times the distance down the hill.   i.e. if the
distance is 200 feet and the vertical angle is 40 degrees (pretty steep)
200 x .76604 (the cosine of 40 degrees) = 153.21.  so effectively the slope
shortened the distance 46.7 feet

do the same thing on the other side and you have your shortened distance.
Measure from the top point on the opposite side to the target... add the 4
numbers together and you got it (Bob's your uncle!)   Make sense  ?   keep
your tape straight and taut when you measure.  If you want it critical use
plumb bobs over your points.  But I'd thing anything within a few feet would
do for gun sighting.

john