Re: [Shop-talk] Shop security

To: Patricia Lane <lane495@nctc.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop security
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:59:40 -0500
I use a fence charger that is supposed to be good for 50 miles also. We
have 50 acres, not all hot fenced, but we do have about 15,000 ft of
fence that is, including a couple of cross fences that have hot wire on
both sides. We run mainly goats on our place, and they still get through
the fence. The charger we use will put over 10,000 volts into our fence,
even when there are wet weeds against it. It is actually designed to
burn the weeds away from the hot wire, but that doesn't always work.
When the voltage gets down to about 7,000 volts, we go trim some grass
if we expect wet conditions . Too bad goats don't eat grass, or they
could keep the fence clear for us!

We also have one stubborn buffalo that wants to run with the neighbor
cows. The hot wire doesn't phase him, I've watched him rub down the
fence for several hundred feet, breaking off the insulators. I don't
know why he does that, when he wants to go visit the cows, he just takes
a running start and jumps the 5' fence! It is quite a sight to see when
a 1.5 ton buffalo flies over a fence like a deer! He wants to stay with
the cows so much that we just let him stay over with them. He's been
fixed, so he won't be making any beefalo's.

Oh, we got our fence charger at Tractor Supply.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Patricia Lane:

Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001
www.hornesystemstx.com