Re: [Shop-talk] Window regulator

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Window regulator
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 18:00:42 -0400
At 03:45 PM 10/4/2007 -0400, Gordon Wishon wrote:
>I'm going to have to replace a window regulator/motor on my 1997 Acura CL
>(after 158,000 miles it finally gave out).  In shopping around the web, I'm
>finding wide variance in prices, ranging from $60-$160 for the same part.
>Some places are selling 'oem replacements' at significantly less than the
>part listed on the Acura online store.
>

>What should I watch out for when buying a replacement regulator/motor?

Gordon,

For OEM Honda parts check out http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/.  I've
used them quite a bit.  Good discount, Honda parts.

You really need to find out if it is the regulator, motor or switch.  Do you
hear the you motor try and turn when you press the switch?

What are your symptoms?  The window just doesn't go up and down?  Doesn't
move at all?  If you have a helper try and lift or push it down does it
go?

I haven't done a Honda regulator, but I have done several on several
different Chryslers and Fords.  Depending on the year, and make they can
differ quite a bit.  I'm assuming that you have the metal bar and wire
regulator?

If so, you need to check to see if the regulator wire(s) broke, or did one
of the pullies fail?  If the regulator has failed, usually the window will
want to fall down and stay down.

On the Ford I've worked on, you could help the window up and down.

Most dealers will replace the entire motor/regulator assembly at about $450
for parts and another $150+ for labor.

Go ahead and pull the regulator and motor assembly from the door.  Then if
you don't see anything wrong with the regulator, VERY, VERY carefully
remove the motor from the regulator.  If the cable unspools your in for a
lot of fun.

Now remove the top cover and inner plate of the motor wheel housing.  Do you
see something like hard chunks of grease?  On the Ford, these were nylon
balls - 3 of them.  They had failed and discinegrated.

Now check the your favorite auto parts store.  They may have a "rebuild kit"
which consists of these 3 balls, and possibly a new drive gear.  Expect to
pay about $50 for the balls and gear.  See if you can't find just the balls.
They typicaly run about $8 in the HELP section.  Replace the balls, and you
should be good to go.

I haven't had any problems with the aftermarket regulators.  They will run
from $30 to about $70.  The motors will run from $100 up.  So if you get the
complete assembly $160 isn't bad.

It's your call of replacing the entire assembly (reg. & motor) or just what
is broken.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229