Re: [Shop-talk] Fw: Generators

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Fw: Generators
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:06:16 -0500
I don't think you have to worry about the temperature - at least not the
stuff I had.  First, it's not soft solder, and it takes a pretty fair amount
of heat - I doubt that the head gets anywhere near that hot.  Even if it's
directly hit by exhaust, the base aluminum would carry away heat pretty
fast.

Second, it chemically reacts with the aluminum to bond, and the resulting
material is harder to remelt.  Nonetheless, it might be a concern.

I thought the stuff was pretty useless for what I originally wanted it for
because it's so hard to work later (it's hard not to gouge the aluminum and
leave most of the filler when trying to smooth a joint), so after initially
trying it I never used it much.  There may be a few sticks in my
miscellaneous brazing stuff to this day...

Even their own demo guys usually did some pretty ugly joints, but their
fast-paced demo covered that to a great extent.  In any event though, it
does work for down and dirty repairs.