Re: [Shop-talk] Harbor Freight & spare parts(was: MIG Welders 115 v

To: "'Mark Andy'" <mark@sccaprepared.com>, "'Shop Talk'"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Harbor Freight & spare parts(was: MIG Welders 115 v
From: "Jack Brooks" <jibjib@att.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 23:05:53 -0700
Mark,

I made that comment because I know that the big three will have parts
available for years to come.  If someone comes to Harbor Freight with a less
expensive welder tomorrow, they will buy the welders from the less expensive
source and throw their name on that one instead.  This eliminates the spare
parts supply for the welder.  I can still order the cooling motor fan blade
for my 40 year old, crank adjustable, Miller 220v stick welder that my son
will likely be using 20 years from now.

I buy some of the "Cheap-crap" Chinese tools too.  It's hard to beat their
"bang for the buck.".  I remember a few years ago when another list was
crowing about how great the Harbor Freight electric impact wrench was.  Now
they are saying that one is gone and the new one is junk.  Harbor freight
buys on price.  I do not believe they have loyalty to any vendor so (in my
opinion) the parts you may need for your welder 5 years from now, may not be
available from HF at that time.  Perhaps you can find and buy from the
original vendor.  On the other hand, Wrenches, hand tools, and inexpensive
electric tools, yup, I'll sometimes buy HF.  Some are good, some are not.
Again, opinion here, but I feel that it all comes down to how much of an
investment you are willing to walk away from.

Jack