Re: [Shop-talk] Harbor Freight & spare parts(was: MIG Welders 115 v

To: "'Bob Spidell'" <bspidell@comcast.net>, "'Marc'" <smarc@smarc.net>,
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Harbor Freight & spare parts(was: MIG Welders 115 v
From: "Jack Brooks" <jibjib@att.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 22:50:19 -0700
While the infinitely adjustable is more adjustable, the four step, on an 110
V machine can achieve the same quality of bead.

I had the opportunity to run both machines, a Hobart Handler 145 and a
similarly sized Lincoln.  The Hobart was a 4 stepper, the Lincoln was an
infinite adjustment.  I bought the Hobart, as it was just as easy to lay
down a variety of good beads and it was less expensive with similar duty
cycles.  Personally, I look at the difference in the adjustment style as a
non-issue.

In my opinion, adjusting the wire "stick-out" on your stinger has a more
significant effect on the quality of the arc, than does the difference
between the steps on the voltage adjustment.  You can make that arc sizzle
just fine using just the clicks.

Also, you can't go wrong with any of the big three and this is not the first
time I have heard folks I trust, like Chris, mention that HTP makes a decent
machine.

Jack