[Shop-talk] Harbor Freight & spare parts(was: MIG Welders 115 v vs

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Harbor Freight & spare parts(was: MIG Welders 115 v vs
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:44:19 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Jack Brooks wrote:
> Please also check out Miller, Hobart and Lincoln (in no real order of
> preference) as Harbor Freight welders are not nearly the same now, as
> what you own. Any of these three brands can be considered
> interchangeable with regard to quality and features.  They will be
> slightly different, but essentially the same quality and performance and
> most importantly spare parts will be available, both now and into the
> foreseeable future.

I'd also second the recommendation of a name brand welder, particularly
Miller (I currently own a Lincoln SP-175Plus, and I like the Miller 175
better).

But my real point in posting is wondering about the truth to the "parts
won't be available for Harbor Freight stuff in the future" implication
above...

Around me, Harbor Freight retail stores are fairly common and at least two
more have been opened in the past couple years (Youngstown/Pittsburgh
area, btw).  I've been going there for years.  I've needed parts a few
times.

Each of those times, service, availability, etc. etc. has been the same as
most any other place I'd go and its been getting better in my mind for
years.

At what point do the "crap chinese tools" become the norm?  Its already to
the point for me where I tend to buy them first, unless I see a real need
for something name brand...

Mark