[Shop-talk] MIG Welders 115 v vs 220v

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] MIG Welders 115 v vs 220v
From: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:46:29 -0500
My trusty hobby MIG welder gave up the ghost after 17 years. My wife bought
it for me as a present ( gotta love a women who buys you tools )  from
Harbor Freight  when they were still Harbor Salvage freight.
It was a 115 volt model that did about 120 amps at most but served all my
needs and did everything I needed.
Looking at HF catalog it appears they now only offer 220v MIGs. I've also
checked Northern Tool and they  still offer a 115 v MIG.
Question : Is there an advantage to a 220 v vs a 115 v model?  I have both
220 and 115 in the shop so could go either way.  If there is no difference
the 115 v would be more convenient since I could use it in any of the
outlets as apposed to moving the work to the welder.

Thanks for any advise .
Bob Nogueira