Re: [Shop-talk] Of mice and...Jeeps!

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Of mice and...Jeeps!
From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <eltonclark@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:56:51 -0500
On 9/17/07, Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com> wrote:

> >>Oops, i forgot to include in my list: The last car with a vacuum wiper
> motor.<<
>

> Sooner or later, when auto anomalies get discussed, the Citroen 2CV always
> come up:

Some of the early ones drove the wipers with a little gearbox on an
extension of the speedometer cable.   Slow down, they nearly stopped; drive
like 'ell, and they wiped like crazy!

One could remove both front fenders for access to the drive train with one's
lug wrench.
The engine hood slid off sideways with NO tools.

The total suspension system consisted of only two springs but ten shock
absorber devices.

Up thru '67 at least, the cars had no vee-belts even though they were
air-cooled and had generators.

The front seat weighed eleven pounds, was extremely comfortable, and turning
one knob released it for outside duty at picnics, etc.

It only weighed about 1200 pounds and had eleven inches of suspension
travel:

     one could drive over a 4 inch curb with no damage and little effect to
passengers.
     A headlight adjuster crank-knob was present on the dash because, if you
loaded someone in the back seat, your light were in the trees.

The Citroen 2CV was French, you know . .

Tony