Re: [Shop-talk] FW: Anode for compressor

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] FW: Anode for compressor
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 10:59:09 -0500
> The typical method for hanging an anode in a radiator is to make a thin
> sheet of brass that fits the filler neck, under the cap. Then hang
> the anode by some braided wire into the coolant.

This and the other water heater descriptions may be the salient point - the
electrode is totally emersed in the electrolyte and is
separated from the tank by the electrolyte except at the one point - the top of
the tank. Therefore the current flows from the
electrode thru the electrolyte to the tank then back to the electrode at the
single connection. A really spiffy battery.

By simply laying the electrode in the bottom of the air tank the electrolyte
separation of the electrode and the tank would seem to
be severly compromised - you would simply have a damp piece of electrode lying
in the bottom of the tank. Yes, we could then begin
thinking about it as as millions of very small electrode - electrolyte - tank
connection - batteries ... and are they in series or
in parallel and ... My head is starting to hurt trying to work out where the
current would flow.

Arvid