Re: [Shop-talk] unnerving burnt smell

To: <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] unnerving burnt smell
From: "mark@noakes.com" <mark@noakes.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 16:49:56 +0000 (UTC)
It's more the burnt wood smell you get like when you run lumber too
fast thru a table saw on a dull blade...and no I haven't run the table
saw for several weeks...and it's in the basement in a separate room to
itself that does not have a tie to the HVAC. The odor is so faint that
it is very hard to track down, but it maybe appears to correlate with
running the HVAC and maybe the water heater at the same time. Both
units are new this year and both are gas. It was a professional install
on both systems to verify that they were brought up to latest code. I
would wonder if there's something with the AC pulling flue exhaust back
out of the water heater (the systems are connected) except that we have
a CO monitor in the room that is the problem and it is reading zero.

I haven't given up on electrical issues at all...just have not been
able to narrow the problem so far. We live out in the county and have a
contract fire dept...not sure they have a thermal camera to loan but
will check.

Also ended up with an unrelated emergency with the garage door opener
that had to be addressed this weekend and so that has been a
distraction on debugging as well.

Thanks for any ideas...

Mark Noakes