[Shop-talk] Metric Hardware

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Metric Hardware
From: wmc_st@xxiii.com
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 17:25:52 -0400
At 04:48 PM 7/5/2007, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
>Oh, that's a favorite topic, indeed. The JIS metric standard is
>different from the DIN metric standard is different from the ISO
>metric standard. Choosing the right wrench/socket is the

I've wondered about that too...  I've had lots of "Asian branded"
cars over the years, and for the most part a 10, 12, 14, and 17mm
wrench will tear the whole thing apart.  Then I go to buy replacement
fasteners, and get these bastard sized heads, like 13mm or 15mm.

Anyway, the thing I read says the Asian standards are mostly even
sized (as above) while the Europeans use odd sized heads on the
fasteners.  Explains a lot, even if it is an annoying
inconsistency.  Even saw the local Advance Auto had "Euro Metric" and
"Asian Metric" assortment packs of bolts.

>truly difficult to find some of the DIN metric nuts, much less nylocs.)

Lowes had a nice selection, including the M8-1.25 nyloc I needed a
couple weeks ago...

   -Wayne