Re: [Shop-talk] Air compressor disconnect

To: wmc_st@xxiii.com,shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air compressor disconnect
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:31:20 -0700
>Put a 90deg turn ball valve on the tank's outlet.  Leave it powered &
>pressurized all the time.  The compressor & tank shouldn't leak down
>at all;  you'll run the motor less and consume less power vs letting
>it drain down and pumping it up from zero.

         Good idea; I'm doing a leakdown test now to see how much, if any,
it does leak down with the outlet valve closed.

> >The instructions said to use ISO 100 compressor oil, single weight
> >non detergent motor oil (no weight given)
>
>I think anything with pistons and rings should be allowed to
>thoroughly break in before using synthetic.  It sounds like the
>manufacturer thinks 30 weight is appropriate for full temperature
>use. Use straight-weight 30 for a while (50+ hours???)  Then go
>synthetic with the narrowest gap, like 10W30 unless your shop gets
>well below freezing, then maybe 5W30.

         They DID recommend changing the oil after 50 hours of use (that
may take me a while).  I'm running compressor oil right now; when I run out
I may try the synth, but it's going to be a while...

Thanks
Dave