[Shop-talk] Bench Grinder, new grinding wheel

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Bench Grinder, new grinding wheel
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:57:47 -0400
The grinding wheel on my Grizzly bench  grinder was in need of
replacement.  It has a 1/2" arbor.  At Sears I found an appropriate
wheel, but with a larger hole.  It comes with three concentric
plastic pieces that adapt the hole to smaller sizes.  So, I put this
all together and the wheel does not seem to be centered.  There is
enough play in these adapter pieces that I can "adjust" the wheel
slightly before I tighten the nut.  I can't get it  centered well
enough like this, though.  So, what's the deal here?  Is this "one
size fits all" concept just a bad idea?  I'm thinking I should just
go buy a wheel with a 1/2" hole.  Is that the way to go, or is there
some kind of special trick to this?  Thanks.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net