Re: Cordless drill

To: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Cordless drill
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:42:04 -0500
I've been using 14.4 volt DeWalt drills for almost 10 years. They have
been really good, including surviving drops of 20' onto concrete! The
better drills have metal gears in the transmissions and have a locking
mechanism so that the keyless chuck can be used single handedly,
something my old drills don't have.

I now use mainly 18 volt drills, which are heavier, but for the brute
force I need, are a better match than the 14.4 volt drills I still use
for lighter work.

A few years ago I read an article about the Panasonic 15.6 volt drill
and it was highly rated at that time. I've never used one, or even seen
one in a store, so I have no experience with it.

After a point the battery voltage thing is all PR. A friend bought a
full set of 24 volt DeWalt tools to use in his remodeling business. They
turned out to be too heavy, so he traded them in on 18 volt units. I've
tried 36 volt saws and they work great in heavy timber, but it was so
heavy that I wouldn't want to have to tote it around all day. I saw that
someone was coming out with a 48 volt line. Personally, I am very
pleased with the 18 volt tools I have.

Drills do not benefit from the voltage increases above about 12 volts
unless you plan on running many screws or holes on a charge, or drilling
large holes. Cordless saws DO benefit from the extra voltage. My 14.4
volt saws are great for cutting trim but slow way down when cutting
2x4's. My 18 volt does well with 2x4's, including a larger diameter blade.

Thusly spake David C.:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001